Why We Snore and Snoring Solutions
Snoring is caused by a blockage of the airway in your nasal passage or throat. The body is grasping for air as it struggles to get through the restricted air passage. The muscles in the back of your throat vibrate as they work to get the air though to your lungs. This causes the noise that we call snoring. There can be many levels of snoring from a gentle noise to a loud, boisterous noise. Both can be harmful to your health. Although you may ask why we snore, it is important to stop the snoring.
The snoring can be caused by either the obstruction of the nasal passage due to allergies or physical blockage or throat obstruction from weak muscles, enlarged throat tissue caused by weight gain or enlarged tonsils and adenoids, or also, can be caused by a long soft palate.
Snoring is a problem in adults and children. It affects relationships and is not taken lightly by most people who share a bed or even a house. As people age they are more prone to snoring because of weakening muscles in the back of the throat.
The snoring noise is not only disruptive, but can cause medical problems as well. The most common problem is exhaustion. The lack of proper sleep causes daytime tiredness, lack of concentration and lethargy. When you snore, you are not getting quality sleep because you do not get the oxygen into your body that your body requires to function efficiently. The lack of the needed amount of oxygen can cause weight gain. When we do not get a good night’s sleep, our bodies compensate by going into a defensive reaction and our bodies put on extra weight. Conversely, when we gain weight, we are more likely to snore.
Serious snorers can also have sleep apnea. Although sleep apnea is identified by the result of snoring, not every snorer also has sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is diagnosed through a sleep study in a sleep study center. Monitors are put on the individual to monitor the breathing rate, the heart rate and the number of times the person stops breathing for over 10 seconds. The number of times this occurs, the more severe the condition. It is not uncommon for people to stop breathing hundreds of times a night. When you not get enough air into your lungs it is called Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure and heart problems and can even be so severe that it can cause death.
Once you understand why we snore, you should try to find your cure. If you snore, you may not realize that it is a medical problem because of how it interferes with proper sleep and often has serious ramifications on your health, but now doctors are trying to help people understand that this problem can be harmful.
Snoring prevention is the best solution. Here are some ways to prevent snoring:
1. Do not drink alcohol
2. Lose weight
3. Sleep on your side or stomach
4. Use wedge foam under your pillow to prompt your head up.
5. Use saline water in your nasal passages.
Not all snoring solutions work for every person and if you snore you may need to try more than one solution.
There are many snoring solutions including:
1. Nose strips are a potential help if the snoring is caused by a nasal obstruction.
2. Nose spray decongestants may be a temporary snoring solution, but can be addictive.
3. Oral decongestants will last longer than nasal sprays, but according to WebMD they also may have more serious side effects such as high blood pressure and nervousness.
4. Mouth pieces can help to bring the lower jaw forward and help open the airway. They are sold with many different prices and may be ordered through your sleep specialist.
5. Snore Reduction pillows such as SnoreEzzz can be a snore solution with a design to elevate the head and open the air passage which helps prevent the muscles from vibrating. This snoring solution may not work for everyone, but it is a non-intrusive snoring solution for many snorers.
Surgery should only be tried if other snoring prevention efforts and the various snore solutions are not working. There are several types of surgery and they vary according to the physical reason for the snoring.
All natural snoring prevention and solutions should be chosen for our health and well-being. Following the best natural and organic solutions, as recommended by the natural and organic review website, TheseAreGreat. By using natural solutions we can optimize our health.
Other articles you may be interested in reading: